Very few things feel better than having a junk-free home. The thought of having a well-arranged life with less stuff is so refreshing. There are so many upsides of having fewer possessions; fewer things to organize obviously and consequently, less stress and time during clean up especially for the woman who is a homemaker. Fewer items in a home also make it look clean, cozy and in fashion. Gone are the days when people kept unnecessary stuff they don’t need in their houses.
Through one’s busy schedule, it is kind of hard to make everything in place. There are some days that a person cannot fix and arrange some papers on the table, or even clean up the utensils after cooking around. Sometimes, due to late night work, they tend to forget to tidy these items they used such as electronic gadgets or a mug of coffee. Afterward, as they wake up in the morning, they just forget about it. Others somehow carelessly pull their clothes from the closet which made everything unfolded and disorganized. These are some issues people tend to face which causes a lot of more unpleasant Fengshui for their home.
A lot of individuals are facing this kind of circumstance from which unorganized stuff is seen all around. It is truly a challenge to fix all things at the same time and to mostly maintain its greatest look. If you try to find a missing item at home, you cannot see it right away, and if you need to use a particular object for today, you still have a hard time uncovering other things. As an example, if people need to find a tiny key for their car, they still need to run around the house to find it. They still need to check it in the bedroom, on the kitchen tops, or even in the living room. After about 15 minutes, they will figure out how they just got too late for their meeting. Indeed, having so much cluttering at home is a challenge. The only solution is to declutter.
Deciding to declutter your home might seem overwhelming and tiring at first, you begin to ask yourself, where do I start from? The truth is, we cannot say the process will be entirely free from stress and work. But what we do know is that there are better ways to go junk free for your home that has proven to be fun and less stressful. These creative tips to declutter and organize are geared towards helping people who honestly do not know where to start. But first, what is decluttering?
What is decluttering?
When to start decluttering?
It is hard to decide when to start decluttering, but you may try planning a schedule first, and then start cleaning up some things or throwing unnecessary items. Afterward, you can do it step by step all over your home, so everything will look better as time goes by. However, the key to making it is to prepare yourself and be motivated to start to declutter. As soon as possible, you hurriedly need to decide.
Who needs to declutter?
Well, it is your own responsibility to do this decluttering, and not for your nannies or helpers to do this task. If you let other people fix your things, you will have issue of knowing where they had stored those things. You will also be confused about how they have had organized those items. Also, it will get difficult for you to memorize all the things they fix and place. Maybe you just ask for some help and support, but you must be a hundred percent determined to fix your own things.
Undeniably, starting this kind of home project is somehow overwhelming. You badly need a huge amount of determination to take this challenge. Lots of time and endless patience are the keys to make this activity work. Also, extra effort and courage must be brought to manage your own home. Always remember that this will pay off in the long term. However, right now, you may be thinking of how are you going to start?
How to start decluttering?
First, prepare yourself and do little by little. Start from the easiest and simplest before jumping onto the most complex decluttering. Try a drawer or a corner of a room. Afterward, practice decluttering. You may begin it as a new task, but you can make it as a habit. Start placing it to the original location after you used something.
Secondly, you may write about your plan. Feel free to decide where to clean first or what area needs to be decluttered right away. For example, the hallway, kitchen tops, bedroom, bathroom sink, and cabinets. Then, plot the schedule you may follow and your tasks for the day. You may also indicate your goals for the week and month. Through this, you will be all guided and well planned.
Most importantly before starting to declutter, you must not worry about perfection. It is advisable for you to take this task easily. You may be overwhelmed by the idea, but you can do this. You do not need to have perfection in arranging and fixing everything. As long as you are contented and in peace, your home will be nice and neat.
Three (3) decluttering strategies
Decluttering doesn’t have to be done in one day, just like earlier stated, it can span for days or weeks, in little bits. You can choose any of the following methods listed below to fit into your schedule, especially if you’re not up for the stress that comes from doing it all at once.
First, Focus on the primary areas
If you usually bump into stuff near the kitchen area, clear that first. If you have trouble dressing up for work every day because your dressing table is usually crapped up and you can’t seem to find anything that should be your primary focus. Declutter places that affect you more critically every day first, this will help lessen the burden.
Second, Start from the front door
You can decide to plan your clean up in a way that I very organized by deciding to start from the front door of the living area and then move in, area by area until the back door leading out of the house is clear. This way you always nowhere else is left to clean up, so if you’re done with one room, you know the kitchen is next.
Third, Do a clean sweep daily
Each day just gets a trash can or bag and deposit any visible item that isn’t useful to you. This is a gradual approach to having a junk-free home. From old clothes lying around to bad kitchen utensils, cosmetic products that are long overdue, you can just trash without thinking twice.
Where and how to declutter?
Kitchen decluttering 101
You should start in the heart of your home, from where the satisfaction from food takes place. It is none other than your kitchen. You may start cleaning up your sink by washing all the dishes in there. You may sanitize your utensils first and arrange them orderly in their cabinets. Try to separate spoons, forks, to other utensils. The mugs and glasses must also be arranged properly. Different plates are needed to be in assembled based on their shape, size, and designs. Afterward, all the cooking equipment should be put in a single place. Kitchen accessories like table mats should also be in a single ware.
You may create extended cabinet storage for you to divide each item in the kitchen. You can have a quick Do-It-Yourself (DIY) project using some spare woods. These cabinets can separate cups from the plates and pans from the kettle. Furthermore, you can easily find the utensil you need once you are done arranging the materials based on their use and category.
Then, you may put some labels on any rack of your cabinet. Nicely printed labels or calligraphy plated labels could make a big difference for you to be more organized and more familiar of your own kitchen. This saves a lot of time figuring up where you place the wine opener, especially when you seriously need a glass of wine.
Some experts also revealed kitchen hacks to save and maximize some spaces. Other use hanged cabinets or holders that can be fixed on the walls. This will be a great help to easily locate utensils that are needed most of the time. Others are hanging their frying pans, strainers, whisker, spatulas and other light-weighted kitchen utensils. On the other hand, others use bars of magnets to attach magnetic knives and arranged those by size. Some hang their mugs, cups, or wine glasses. These hanging styles of kitchen items can also add some decorative and functional to maximize the area inside the kitchen.
As for the sink, you may use an appealing and adorable hand soap pumps together with your liquid dish soap. You can also hang your sponge, hand and table towels to let it dry right away.
Further suggestions to declutter your kitchen is the handy spice organizers from where you can place different spices like oregano, thyme, paprika, and more. Through this organizer found beside your stove, you can get the mix the flavors you need for your tasteful recipe. You may also store these spices in glass containers with the same figures with each other. Put some label, and arrange it by color or by name.
After all these reminders, you may step up to your refrigerator and start arranging the food in them. First, try to clean the freezer, and put the frozen products by layer. A container of ice cream, hotdogs, frozen fish fillet, and others must be placed accordingly. Then, separate the ice packs onto them. Afterward, clean your refrigerator. Throw unimportant products there. Then, divide the fresh vegetables and fruits from the food in there. Arrange them by category.
Indeed, the kitchen and dining room is so big for a starter. However, after accomplishing your task here, you will get more motivated to clean everything. Start little by little, as you try to fix more and more.
Bathroom decluttering 101
After a big assignment to your kitchen, you jump into your bathroom. You just need to clean the sink, toilet, and shower area. Fix the storage bins for your towels, toiletries, and other cleaning products.
First, remove all things inside your bathroom. Brush the sink, wipe the mirrors, and clean the toilet bowl. Then, brush the shower area. After that, start placing the floor mats to prevent slipping.
- MESH ORGANIZER BASKET DRAWER SET (WHITE, Bottom & Top) — Maximize space with a mesh organizing pull out drawer—Store a wide variety of items including kitchen utensils, toiletries, office supplies, cleaning products, crafting materials, accessories, and more in your kitchen, bathroom, or office
- DE-CLUTTER THE HOME & OFFICE— Easy visualize and access the contents from your countertop, cabinet, pantry, under sink storage, and workspace with a clutter (and stress-free) storage solution—De-clutter narrow spaces and group similar items together for the ultimate organization
- MAXIMIZE STORAGE — For additional storage, add multiple side-by-side—OR stack the Top Drawer above the Bottom Drawer for additional vertical storage
- SLIDING BASKET DRAWERS — Basket/drawer effortlessly slide open and close so you can quickly access your favorite spices, supplies, toiletries, etc—Lightweight for easy transport
- FUNCTIONAL DESIGN—Compact design for small spaces—Made of steel mesh with a sleek silver finish—Features sturdy metal legs with rubber feet protectors for impressive durability
Secondly, arrange your toiletries such as soap, shampoo, conditioner, and scrubs, inside the shower area. Then go to your storage bins to organize your towels according to their size and color. Afterward, pull the cabinets for your beauty products to see if there are expired products. Throw those to clean up unnecessary items. Get your lotions, colognes, body sprays, deodorants and arrange them properly to your cabinet or even at the side of your sink.
Others also use hooks and holders to hang towels, toothbrushes, and toothpaste. But some use a nice jar or glass to place their toothbrush. As for cotton, cotton buds, and face pads, they store it in uniform glass containers with lids. These prevent dust or other foreign materials to enter their hygienic products.
Another secret tip for your bathroom, you may use the space under the sink as storage. You can have one to two baskets to place large towels or bathroom cleaners such as brushes, toilet scrub, and wastebaskets. These could hide your cleaning materials inside the bathroom, especially when you have guests. You may also throw old shower curtains and replace it with a new one. In that case, you will have brighter covers without any molds or dark holes.
Besides this appearance satisfaction, it also important to maintain the refreshing and pleasant smell of your bathroom. Please use covered waste bins as proper sanitization. Then, you may also use some air fresheners or bathroom colognes to give more comfort in using your bathroom. Toilet bar fresheners are also helpful, you may hang it beside the toilet or beneath the sink. Through this, you will get more excited to have your satisfying shower after a long day at work.
Bedroom decluttering 101
Decluttering the bedroom will also be fulfilling to everyone. You may start fixing the bed itself by fitting the sheets to the bed and by suiting the pillowcases to the pillows. Folding the blankets or fixing the comforters will also be helpful. Afterward, you clean up the side tables, the chargers you just used, and the cords you just plugged off. Then, you also fix the table for the television or radio.
According to experts on clutter, it is essential to have a bin or basket beside your bed or beneath your open side table to create an undercover bin for dirty clothes, or throw pillows. You can also hide some magazines in there.
- LARGE STORAGE ORGANIZER BOX SET (2-PACK. LIGHT GRAY) — Store and protect clothing and household items with box style container bins
- EASY ACCESS & CLUTTER-FREE STORAGE — Front and top zipper opening makes it easy to store and remove contents — Multi-purpose for seasonal clothing, bedding, blankets, comforters, linens, holiday decorations, books , toys, baby clothes, shoes, handbags, and more
- PORTABLE WITH LABEL HOLDER — Secure carry handles for easy transport — Allows quick packing/unpacking between seasons, traveling, moving, or as needed — Zips close to protect contents from dust, pest, water damage, moths, and smell — Card holder on side allows for easy content labeling
- STACKABLE & FOLDABLE — Sturdy frame stacks above/beneath additional organizers — Collapses flat and tucks away when not in use — Store on shelves, in larger chests, closets, buffet hutches, garage, basement, attic, or under bed in home, office, dorm —To use, metal frame pops open into a very large storage bin
- CLEAR WINDOW DESIGN — Has 2 clear windows to view contents at glance with 2 zippered flap doors for protection — Metal wire frame sustains shape— Easy set-up, frame simply pops open into a large storage cube — Made of 100% polyester — Dust-proof, moisture-proof, moth-proof — Clean with damp cloth and air dry — Measures approximately 19.75" L X 16" W X 13.75" H
Inside the bedroom, you may also have your cabinets and shelves of clothing. You may also take time folding your bedroom clothes and place it directly to the wash bins. Then, before jumping onto the shower, you may decide first of what to wear. As you decide on the outfit of the day, you may start arranging your clothes according to their color and category. Pants should be with pants and separated from shorts. You may also separate the tops from bottoms. Then, your undergarments must be folded accurately and placed hidden to the front side of the shelf.
You may also arrange your clothing accessories like belts and hats to a separate box or drawer. Other accessories like you watch and jewelry should be stored properly for they are quite expensive. Your shoes must also be arranged based on their use, color, and type.
Others also have books inside their bedroom. You may fix your shelves of books based on their genres and alphabetical order. It will just be like a mini-library. On the other hand, some individuals prefer to put a bench at the end of their beds. This could also be extra storage for other items inside your bedroom.
Living room decluttering 101
A peaceful living room is the goal of anyone to make this room in according to its name “living”. The room must be warm and cozy, and messy things should definitely be not included. Thus, decluttering is the major key.
The center table or sometimes even called coffee table is also placed at the focal point of the living room. It must be cleaned, neat, and tidy. There should be no plates, papers, or unnecessary objects to be seen there. Some tried to place two to three layers of books and magazines. Others used a variety of sizes and colors of candles and flowers. These minimal items could work, however, it is advisable to have a clutter-free center table. According to a stylist named Stephanie Hanes, the center table should be 75% clear. Well, you can still on with some table clothing, but mostly it must be clear.
- Stylish and Functional: Fashion design, Can be used at home as a cube ottoman/footrest stool/coffee table, also can be used outdoor as a camping or fishing stool, lightweight and foldable
- Comfortable Seating:High Quality PU leather, super thick high density fiber board, linen material, filled with high rebound sofa sponge, Super memory, more environmentally friendly and soft
- Size: 12"x12"x12", can afford 100kg/220lbs. Foldable side: 12'x12'x1.6". Weight: 1.5kg/3.3lbs.
- Generous Storage: store magazines, books, pillows, throws, TV remotes, kid toys, dog toys blankets and so on, de-clutter your living room or bedroom.
- FOLDABLE STORAGE: with removable lid, Easily folds when not in use. No tools required. Save your space
As for the furniture, a few pieces could work. The size and position of the couches matter. Some are in L-shape, some are just separated from each other and some are in round-shape. As long as it looks satisfactory and agreeing with the color combination, it is acceptable. To declutter the objects there, the pillows must be arranged properly. Less number of pillows could do better, as it plays a little color and style, but definitely less cluttering. Moreover, some pieces of blankets may also be added, but it should be suitably fitted to the couch.
The floor mats or carpets can also be played with its color, design, and material. Printed carpets can be paired with your plain colored couches. However, if you so many colors on the couch, you may choose to have simpler carpets to make it more contrast.
To make your living room look brighter, you may use color-coordinated curtains that can uplift the room’s mood. The length and style depending on your taste, but it should be clipped most of the time, and pulled off if it is too bright or sunny outside.
Another factor in your living room is the lightings. You may try easy-to-clean lamps or small chandeliers to be hanged at the ceilings. You can also put not so bright lanterns to have different choices.
Through all these suggestions, it is most important to think that the living room must look cozy and appealing. This room welcomes the guests, and you do not want to have a bad impression as they enter your home. The living room sets the standard of how you clutter or how you declutter.
Four (4) simple steps to declutter your home Fast
Now that you have general ideas on how to declutter your kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living room, let’s delves into a more organized and simple 4 step process to declutter on a budget. Here you go:
a- Identify the clutters
As a homemaker, before you begin taking all the stuff out, you need to clearly define what clutter is. It is not uncommon for people to be hesitant towards letting go of things they do not need because they say to themselves, “it might be useful someday”. Often times, that day never comes, leading to more and more junk piling up. So the question now is, what is clutter? Clutter is any item in your home that you do not need or have any use for, Decluttering or uncluttering is simply taking unnecessary stuff out in order to make room for those that matter. If you look at the stuff in your home, you will be able to use this simple definition to point out things that you really need to take out. Just a side note, some people would consider decluttering as a process towards the minimalist lifestyle.
b- Set a Goal
Now that you have been able to pinpoint what matters in your home and what has really overstayed its welcome, the next step is goal setting. This means drawing up a plan that will make the whole process unnecessarily daunting. Part of your goal setting is to consider the time-frame i.e. would you want to declutter in one day or declutter in a month’s time? All this makes a difference. In fact, keeping the goal will also help you keep abreast of what has been done and what is yet to be cleared. You can follow the below steps;
- Identify and write down the cluttered spots in your home: Be sure to tackle every room, nuke, and cranny.
- Prioritize which rooms to clean up first: Perhaps the first room to consider is how to declutter a bedroom. This is because the bedroom is where you spend the quality night to recover for the hectic day. Next which room needs to be cleaned first shall be based on the severity of its clutter.
- Set a deadline: This might be in hours or days depending on how much stuff needs to be uncluttered. Setting a time limit serves as a reminder that you need to get things going, and on time too. It could also feel like taking up a challenge which makes it more fun. Some people would suggest the 31 days to clean the house but for me, the timeline shall be split into different chunk i.e. Short term, medium terms and long terms, which shall span from one day to 6 months.
Now that you have done with your goal setting towards minimalist living, the next step is to see which method to use. These goal setting will show you how to be a minimalist.
c- Choose a sorting method
Before you get started on the selection and sorting process, it would be wise to know what method to apply to make the decluttering process faster and easier. One of the most popular methods is the three-box method. In this system, you pick three boxes or three containers of your choice and label them, either mentally or physically. One of the boxes should be for stuff you want to “keep”, another for stuff you want to “get rid of” and the third for “storage”. After the entire decluttering is over and spaces are clear, you will need to arrange all items in the “keep” box neatly where they belong. The content of the “get rid of” box should be carried away, either for giving out or for trashing. Finally, the storage box should be carried to the storage area, to keep them from lying around.
d- Get Rid of Unnecessary Items
This is basically the main part of the whole exercise, the actual decluttering. After you have sorted all your possessions out into the three boxes, what happens to the ones you do not want anymore. Well, you have a lot of options about what to do with them.
- Recycle them: This is especially particular to home items like glass, plastic, electronics etc. that are recyclable. You can put them in the recycle bin or take them to the nearest recycling location and drop them. This is a way of also doing your bit to ensure an eco-friendly environment.
- Donate them: This applies to things that can still be useful, not just to you. Clothing, books and some other household items fall into this category. There are lots of charity organizations (I support salvation army) that accept these offers and help with distributing them to homes that need them If you know someone or family that needs these items, you could also give them directly.
- Sell them through Garage sale: Well how about getting some extra cash from stuff that could come in handy to other people? If there’s any association nearby that helps to organize these mini-sales events, you can register to participate and make some little money from your decluttered items. Think of it as a reward for your hard work. Similar to the garage sale, you can also put them on eBay or on online classified ads.
- Haul them away: If there’s so much garbage to be thrown out, you should really consider renting a dumpster to roll them away. Try to check with your neighbors to see if anyone needs this service too so that the bill can be split.
Conclusion remark on decluttering 101
Decluttering a home can be so much fun if you toss in the right tactics. Imagine a home free from all the stuff that has consistently made your life more depressing and harder. Your entire mood is affected by how your house looks and the organization of stuff in them. Take time out to declutter once in a while to keep yourself happy and feeling fulfilled. You can splatter the home with decorations like wallpapers, flowers, and accents. A change in the arrangement pattern of the entire home once in a while will lift up your spirit.
To sum everything, you need to remember that the house will reflect on the householder. It is your responsibility to clean up and make time to maintain your place happy and cozy. It is advisable to take this decluttering seriously for it will help you have a cleaner environment that will protect you from diseases and other forms of unpleasant circumstances. As long as you are being hands-on to your home and its appearance, hidden or unhidden corners, you will be more satisfied. A clean home will reflect on your minimalist lifestyle. This sums up my tips on becoming a minimalist and on decluttering inspiration.
- Aarssen, Cassandra (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 156 Pages - 01/02/2018 (Publication Date) - Mango (Publisher)
- Dual sides 40 roomy pockets and 24 hooks&loops jewelry storage, the pockets for medium accessories such as earrings, ring and chain, the loops for hanging larger and longer necklaces so that they do not have to tangle in one pockets;
- Beautiful and practical "dress" appearance makes the plastic jewelry organizer is not just a jewelry holder but a decoration, the interpocket in the waist can protects your jewelry from falling into the bottom and is safety for keep your valuable or large jewelry;
- Reinforced seams and transparent pvc pockets, convenient to see the contents of each pocket, so you can choose what to wear with your outfit easily and quickly, all stitches are strengthened;
- Multiple use hanging jewelry organizer for necklaces, not only a jewlwey organizer, but also can be used for hair accessories, nail polishes, makeups, crafts, cables, cards, etc;
- Easy to hang, you can hang it in your closet, bathroom, door, the wall, cabinet, cruise, etc.
- NisClaroo (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 143 Pages - 11/11/2019 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
- FUNCTIONAL ORGANIZER: Create more space in cluttered cabinets and pantries with this very functional organizer
- PERFECT FOR ORGANIZING PANTRY GOODS: Each shelf is 2.75" deep, perfect for organizing spices, soup or vegetable cans, sauces and more
- NOT LIMITED TO JUST THE KITCHEN: Use outside the kitchen to organize cosmetics, perfume, skincare products, figurines, and office supplies; the possibilities are endless
- DURABLE PLASTIC: The Copco Organizer is made from durable, long lasting plastic with non slip shelf lining
- MEASUREMENTS: Measures at 3.5 inches high by 9 inches deep by 15 inches wide; To clean; wipe with a damp cloth when needed
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Harbin, Luigi (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 73 Pages - 02/26/2020 (Publication Date)
- Aarssen, Cassandra (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 224 Pages - 04/28/2020 (Publication Date) - Mango (Publisher)
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Harbin, Luigi (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 104 Pages - 08/15/2018 (Publication Date)
- WALL MOUNTED JEWELRY ORGANIZER: This hanging jewelry organizer will add a touch of unique rustic air to your room décor! Quality crafted with great attention to the slightest detail, it will make the centerpiece of your room, to inspire you and facilitate you in making the most stunning jewelry combinations!
- LARGE CAPACITY TO STORAGE: Design with three different dimension of 9 x 5.1 inch, 13 x 5.1 inch and 16.9 x 5.1 inch wood board, which offer enough large space for your comestic. And a T bar with 26 holes for all kinds of earring, a 11.61 inch bar and a 5.89 L bar for keep your necklace, bracelet, watch and glass tidy on wall.
- FREE COMBINATION: Metal bars can separate for use or as a whole, ensure a free combination so that you can creates different styles, which won't take up much space but keep your jewelry neatly and handy, perfect for small space of bedroom, bathroom, entryway and more.
- NICE CHOICE AS A GIFT: Made of particle board with beautiful walnut color, all of metal finished with smooth apprearance which won't hury your luxrious jewelry or hand, so it is a nice chioce as a gift to female.
- EASY TO INSTALL AND EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE: Comes with screw, anchor and instruction for install. Keebofly offers each customer 24 Hours Friendly Customer Service, so order it without any worry.
- Good for organizing your lingerie, socks, underwear when you finish laundry and easy to access them while you need it.
- Made with non-woven fabric which is mold-proof
- The item includes 4 bins: 6 cell(scarves, ties), 8 cell(underwear, briefs, ties), 7 cell(bra), 24 cell(socks)
- Dimension:12" X 6" X 4-1/4"H for 6 cell and 8 cell bins
- Dimension:12" X 12" X 4-1/4"H for 7 cell and 24 cell bins
- Company, Family and Household Planner (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 112 Pages - 10/01/2019 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
Last update on 2020-04-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API