Gone are the days of wintry light kissing coldly on your face. Snow flurries has stopped falling and they do not swirl around people’s legs like house cats anymore. This is the end of your hibernation period. Snow is melting off the panes and treas. Wintery breaths are no longer clouding the ponds; frozen lakes have also stated melting off. Summer is around the corner and everyone is excited about it. This is the season when leaves are dark green and full, opened towards the sunlight and breath in the hot aromatic air. This is the time when you watch the trees, how they sway in a warming breeze. The sky blazes blue and the sun is a celebration of yellow, free and bright. The flowers everywhere, having vibrant hues, looks like scattered rainbows that arises from earth and water, yet can be nothing without golden rays of sun. They are a new masterpiece each day, changing the frameless scenery, gazing upward at the ever-present sky; they are the warmth of the land that give thanks to the warmth of the summer sun. The beaches are more people than sand. The birdsong drifts as well as any summertime pollen. It comes as magical as any flute and as soulful as love’s kiss. There is no cooling breeze or cloud to block the highest sun. It seems like suddenly someone has clicked on the resume button and the paused euphoria has once again came to life.
As the summer sunshine pours over the moist soil, the earth welcomes the green grass and in almost no days, the green carpets of grass spread everywhere including parks, lawns, backyards etc. The soundless footsteps on the grass brings joy to the heart and refreshes the soul with the gentle tickle as each footstep forms a gentle cushion of green. Each strand of grass moves in the summer breeze as easily as a girl’s hair.
This is the time when families reunite to spend time together. They go to parks or sit in their lawns, smell delicious hotdogs or enjoy hot smoky barbecues. Children run around under the clear sky screaming with joy. The summer breeze hits your face like a ball of warm air. Everyone feels the grass as they can grab it in their hands. The coolness of summer shade can also be felt. Everyone enjoys the beautiful landscape while relaxing on the picnic blanket.
As the summer proceeds, the grass grows greener and longer in a wilder manner. Though it presents a very beautiful sight but to enjoy the luxuries that summer season brings, the grass needs to be trimmed short. The grass is usually trimmed using a lawn mower.
What is a Lawn Mower?
Back in times there were only pasture lands and no lawns which had to be kept clean. At that time, herds of domestic animals such as sheep and goats grazed the land to get food. This also kept the pasture lands neat and tidy. With the passage of time, as things advanced, people stated leaving empty spaces in their house to make lawn. Several different tools were used to keep them neat and tidy.
A lawn mower is a machine with one or more blades which is used to cut grass to an even height. Before the mid of 20th century, reel mowers were used which had a cylindrical blade and was operated by manpower i.e. the blade rotated as the man pushed the mower forwards. Later, a lawn mower powered by internal combustion engine was invented by a British engineer Edwin Bunning in 1830 which became available to public in 1902. The electric operated lawn mower became available in markets in 1926.
Now a days, the most common type of mowers used are reel mowers which can be manual push mowers, electric mowers or gas mowers.
Manual push mowers
Manual push mowers usually have two wheels and a blade. The body and handle are both made up of steel. Some manual mowers have a bag or steel container attached to it to collect the trimmed grass while others do not have anything attacked to collect the trimmed grass. Manual push mowers require extra effort to push it forward especially on the patches where the length of grass is long. FYI, I have just at home and one negative point on manual mowers is the sound it makes. It is pretty loud, although less loud than the electric or gas mower, it is still loud. Hence, this is for your consideration if you decide to buy one of these manual grass trimmers.
Gas Powered Mowers
Gas mowers use gasoline or petrol as fuel. They are powered by inter combustion engines which are usually four-stroke engines. Their power generally ranges from four to seven horse powers. The real effort is to pull their cord to start these mowers. Although they do cover more range and have greater power than electric mowers, but still, they are disliked due to their non eco-friendly nature. They create significant amount of pollution due to combustion in their engine. They also create noise which makes working with them difficult. Their engines require periodic maintenance such as cleaning or replacement of spark plug and air filter and changing the engine oil.
Electric Lawn Mowers
Electric mowers are classified into corded and cordless mowers. Corded electric mowers get their power directly from power source plugs. They are limited in range as they are dependent on the length of the cord which reduces its mobility. There is also an additional hazard with these machines of accidently mowing over the power cable.
In contrast to corded lawn mowers,
Electric lawn mowers are noiseless which makes them eco-friendly. They also emit less toxic waste and gives your lawn an impressive clean cut. Starting these mowers is also effortless because pulling the string is not necessary as you can simple push the start button on. It is also light weight enough that it can be pushed and lifted easily, even kids can push it with least effort applied. Even there are cordless lawn mowers which are self-propelled so that you do not need to apply any effort just has to supervise which direction the mower is going to.
Lawn mowers comes into several sizes. Generally, small sized, non-powered push mowers are used for lawns and gardens having small surface area. Cordless electric lawn mowers are used for residential lawns or gardens which have slightly larger surface area. Riding mowers, which sometimes resemble small tractors, are larger than push mowers and are suitable for large lawns, although commercial riding lawn mowers (such as zero-turn mowers) can be “stand-on” types, and often bear little resemblance to residential lawn tractors, being designed to mow large areas at high speed in the shortest time possible. The largest multi-gang (multi-blade) mowers are mounted on tractors and are designed for large expanses of grass such as golf course and municipal parks, although they are ill-suited for complex terrain.
How to choose a lawn mower
There are several companies which offers lawn mowers in different models and sizes. Some of them are Honda Motor company, Ltd, Toro, John Deere, Cub Cadet, Craftsman, Lawn Boy, Greenworks, Makita, Bosch, Worx, Wolf Garten etc. All these companies offer lawn mowers in different models and sizes. One is better than the other. One company can offer you a product in $500 and another company can offer you the same product with same features in $250. It all depends on what brand you rely on. It is obvious that the price has something to do with product’s quality, durability and reliability. There will be a difference in the quality of raw material used to manufacture the product. Some mowers might be corded while others might be cordless. Some mowers might support only two grass discharge features while others might support three discharge features. Similarly, the battery capacity that mowers support and the position of cutting height might vary from model to model.
Buying a lawn mower depends on how you are going to use it.but if you have a pretty small lawn then buying a manual lawn mower or a corded electric mower with plastic body will be enough for you.
Why mowing your lawn is necessary?
Mowing your lawn at least every month or after every three weeks is necessary. There are several benefits of cutting your garden grass regularly such as:
- A garden with freshly cut grass enhances the beauty of your landscape and makes it appealing to the viewers. The most obvious benefit of keeping the lawn neat and mowed is that it shows the aesthetics of the home’s owner and the pride they take in their home. Lawns and yards that receive proper mowing and maintenance provide neighborhoods pleasant, friendly and high valued atmosphere.
- When the grass is cut into uniform length, , they decompose and re-enter the soil, enriching it and thus improving the overall health and beauty of the grass.
- It also keeps your lawn healthy and eliminate some pests from the grass because overgrown grass can quickly become infested with pests. Tall grass and weeds provide a suitable habitat for bugs and rodents which not only looks weird and creepy but can also become the reason of spreading diseases.
- Various pieces of debris are also picked while mowing so that nothing gets accumulated on the grass.
Greenworks Mower – Is it the Best cordless mower?
One of the leading brands in home care and horticulture solutions is Greenworks. Greenworks was founded to market industry in 2007 leading lithium-ion technology and outdoor power equipment produced by parent company Globe Tools Group. Three years later, in 2010, they introduced a power line of corded outdoor power equipment designed for the needs of residential consumers who wanted eco-friendly power products without noise, fumes or hassle. In 2013, Greenworks introduced the company’s first dual blade battery operated cordless lawn mower. The Smart Force Dual Blade mower used smart cut technology to regulate power on this revolutionary mower. Today, they are the leader in battery operated outdoor power tools for DIY-consumers and landscaping professionals. The company distributes Greenworks-branded and private label products, as well as products for an extensive network of Original Equipment Manufacturers. With a robust line of Greenworks-branded products including 24-volt, 40-volt, 60-volt, 80-volt and commercial grade 82-volt battery-operated outdoor power equipment, a full line of corded equipment and reel mowers, Greenworks offers the right tool for every job. They mainly deal in providing power tools for homes and farms. Other than mowers, their products include snow throwers, batteries and chargers, hedge trimmers, cultivators, pressure washers, chain saws, blowers, string trimmers and edger. They also deal in hand tools like vacuum cleaners, compact drills, rotatory hammers, screw drivers, fishing sanders, drill drivers, circular saws and impact drivers.
The best lawn mower to use for residential spaces is a 40 Volt 20-inch cordless lawn mower. Greenworks offer different models in this type of lawn mowers.
Greenworks SmartCut Technology
All the lawn mowers mentioned here have SmartCut Technology which is the main feature of Greenworks lawn mowers. This means that these lawn mowers automatically adjust the speed of their blades depending on the thickness and length of the grass. This feature of Greenworks Lawn mowers makes them unique and different from others.
You do not have any need to adjust the speed of the mower yourself. This makes these mowers easy to use to use and handle for people with age between 15 to 60.
MO40L410 G-MAX 40V 20-Inch Cordless 3-in-1 lawn mower’s Features
- The model number of this lawn mower is MO40L410
- The handle of the mower is long enough to make it easy to operate because the handle comes somewhere up to or between your abdomen and so holding it and applying force is an easy task.
- This 20-inch lawn mower is pretty much bigger than a lot of other lawn mowers. It supports 4Ah battery. The body or “deck” of the lawn mower consists of a compartment with a flip top lid for the battery. There is a space for one extra battery as well so that you can quickly switch the battery without causing any delay in your mowing task.
- The deck is made up of Steel which make it durable an ensures its long-term use.
- The maximum cutting height of this mower is 1 3/8 inches and minimum cutting height is 3 3/8 inches.
- There are three ways for the grass to come out. It can either come out form the sides or gets gathered in the bag that is attached to its back or comes out mulched.
- You can also adjust the height of the body to get grass mowed to your favorite length. All four wheels gets adjusted at the same time.
- It also has a feature of “Variable Speed” which helps to get more power when cutting high grass and slows down when cutting low grass.
- Starting the device is also easy and effortless. All you need to do is to pull the white lever back and push the button that is attached to the handle of the mower. It hardly takes 10 to 15 seconds to get started. It is noiseless and the only sound you can hear is a fan like sound of the rotating blades.
- Storing the device is also easy. You can fold up the handle to make the over all device lean. This takes less surface area.
Greenworks 20-inch 40v twin force cordless lawn mower review
- The model number of this lawn mower is 25302.
- The handle of this mower is also long enough to give you a good grip over it.
- It has a stamped type deck and the material of the deck is plastic. Though its plastic material makes it much lighter, but this might be less durable than mowers having steel deck. But still it is best suited for mid-sized lawn.
- The deck comes with two compartments with flip top lids both. One compartment is for placing the battery which will power the mower while the other compartment is for storing an extra battery which will provide you uninterrupted cutting.
- All four wheels of the mower can be adjusted to 5-position height with a single lever to get the cut of your favorite length.
- The maximum cutting height of this mower is 3 3/8 inches and minimum cutting height is 1 3/4 inches.
- The front wheels of the mower have 7-inch diameter and the rear wheels of the mower has 10-inch diameter.
- The battery capacity is 4Ah which gives up to 60 minutes runtime. This time is enough time to get your lawn grass trimmed. But if you still need to use it, then you can use second battery which comes along it with a capacity of 2Ah.
- It has two blades, one placed little backwards to the other. The twin blades make the mowing effortless and speedy.
- The trimmed grass gets collected in the bag that is attached to the back of the deck, extending horizontally but a little lifted vertically upwards. It also has a mulch function. It is easy to switch to between mulch function and rear bag.
- Turning the device on is easy and effortless. Well, this is the common feature which comes in Greenworks lawn mowers, because this is what their vision explains. All you need to do it is to simply pull the lever and push the button that are attached to the handle. It turns on and gets ready to use in very less time.
- This lawn mower does not come with a vertical storage which means you cannot fold the handle of the mower to make it lean and easy to store.
40V 20 in. Cordless Dual Port Battery Lawn Mower with bonus 2.5Ah Battery and Charger
- The model number of this lawn mower is 1302602.
- This model of the Greenworks lawn mower almost has the same features as that of the model number MO40L410 (discussed above). The body is made up of steel, has a single large blade and has 3 ways to discharge the grass i.e. mulch, bag or side discharge.
- The only difference between this model and MO40L410 model is that this model comes with an additional battery of 2.5Ah capacity along with 4Ah capacity battery whereas MO40L410 model comes only one battery with 4Ah capacity. But like model number MO40L410, only one battery can be used as a power source at a time in this model.
- All four wheels of this model also can be adjusted to 7 position height with a single lever to get the cut of your desired length.
- This model also offers compact storage which means the handle of the mower can be folded to make storage easy.
You can buy it directly from Greenworkstools.com directly.
40V 20 in. Cordless Lawn Mower with 4Ah Battery and Charger
- The model number of this lawn mower is 2516302
- This lawn mower also has a steel body and weighs 77.16 lbs.
- It is perfect for small-sized lawns because the battery capacity is 4Ah with up to 40-50 minutes runtime and 120 minutes charge time.
- The deck of the lawn mower has a compartment with flip lid to place the battery.
- The front wheels have 8-inch diameter and rears wheels have 10-inch diameter. The wheels are adjustable through a single lever.
- This mower also starts instantly without any extra force and is noiseless and produces no fumes that could add pollution to the air.
- The handle of this mower is also foldable and consumes up to 30% less space in your garage due to its vertical storage feature.
You can buy it directly from Greenworkstools.com directly.
Other Best Greenworks gardening tool with fast shipping
- 40V COMBO KIT – This string trimmer / blower combo kit allows you to keep your walkways and driveway clear of overgrown grass and weeds, enhancing your curb appeal.String trimmer operation temperature range : 32°F (0°C) - 113°F (45°C)
- 12” STRING TRIMMER – Powers through the toughest grass and weeds. 12” cutting path, .065” line, auto feed head for quick and easy line advancement
- LEAF BLOWER – Provides powerful clearing performance featuring 390 CFM air flow and 110 MPH air speed. Variable speed trigger with cruise control provides controlled airflow when it’s needed most
- LIGHTWEIGHT – Ultra lightweight design, along with superior ergonomics allow for reduced user fatigue
- EASY TO USE – Push button start. Included 2.0Ah battery recharges in 60 minutes
- 40V 16” CHAINSAW – Perfect for homeowners that need to tackle yard projects, or storm clean-up
- TRUBRUSHLESSTM MOTOR TECHNOLOGY – 2 x more torque. Provides more power, longer runtimes, quiet operation, and extended motor life
- CHAIN BRAKE – for added safety and reduced risk of injury
- AUTOMATIC OILER – delivers proper chain lubrication and increased productivity
- PRO STYLE TENSIONING – for easy bar and chain maintenance
- 40V COMBO KIT – This polesaw / pole hedge trimmer combo kit allows you to keep your trees and hedges trimmed and healthy, enhancing your curb appeal
- 8” BAR AND CHAIN (POLESAW) – for easy trimming of branches
- 20” BLADE (POLE HEDGE) – dual action blade for optimal performance, and trimming of tall hedges. 7-position pivoting head for trimming at multiple angles
- EASY ADJUST TENSIONING - for quick tightening of the polesaw chain
- AUTOMATIC OILER – applies oil to the bar and chain to ensure durability and extend the life of the chain
- KEEP YOUR YARD HEALTHY : dethatch in early spring or early fall for cool-season grasses, and in late spring through early summer (after the 2nd mowing) for warm-season grasses.Speed : 3700 RPM, Motor : 120 V, AC only, 60 Hz, 10 Amps
- POWERFUL MOTOR : 10A motor provides the power you need to tackle the toughest jobs
- 14” DETHATCHING PATH : allows you to complete jobs faster and more efficiently
- 3-POSITION HEIGHT ADJUST : provides greater control by removing matted layers to promote lawn health
- STAINLESS STEEL TINES : stays sharp longer for reliable performance
- 40V STRING TRIMMER – powers through the toughest grass and weeds
- 13” CUTTING PATH - .065” line, auto feed head for quick and easy line advancement
- TRIMMER / EDGER (2-IN-1) – 90-degree rotating head with edging wheel. 3 position pivoting head for trimming at multiple angles
- VARIABLE SPEED TRIGGER – allows you to control cutting speed on the go, so you can easily maneuver around plants and shrubs
- LIGHTWEIGHT / EASY TO USE – Ultra lightweight design, along with superior ergonomics allow for reduced user fatigue
- CORDLESS LAWN MOWER – Get more done, faster, with Greenworks electric lawn mowers. This 80V self-propelled mower provides the power you need with up to 45 minutes of run-time on a fully charged 4.0Ah battery (varies based on grass condition and operator technique)
- DURABLE 21” STEEL DECK – The 21” steel deck allows you to handle large areas of grass quickly and easily. Brushless motor provides more torque, quiet operation, and a longer life.
- SELF-PROPELLED – Rear wheel drive and variable speed control for maximum traction, maneuverability, and control
- INNOVATIVE SMARTCUT TECHNOLOGY – Senses grass and auto-adapts power for the perfect cut.
- VERSATILE – Single lever, 7-position height adjustment for the best cut in all environments. The 3-in-1 design allows you to mulch, rear bag, or side discharge your grass clippings
- 40V LITHIUM-ION BATTERY – 4.0Ah battery provides 50% more capacity than the standard 2.0Ah battery pack. No memory and virtually no self-discharge for maximum productivity and less downtime
- COMPATIBLE WITH 60 plus TOOLS – Compatible with all Greenworks 40V products
- LED FUEL GAUGE – Integrated 4 LED fuel gauge provides immediate feedback on state of charge
- FAST CHARGE TIME – Charges in 1 hour with rapid charger and charges in 2 hours with standard charger
- 3 YEAR WARRANTY – Protect your investment with the Greenworks 3-year warranty. Note : Battery style and color may vary
- 18'' CHAIN AND BAR : Perfect for professional users
- BRUSHLESS MOTOR TECHNOLOGY : 2X more torque. Provides more power, longer runtime, quiet operation, and extended motor life
- AUTOMATIC OILER : Delivers proper chain lubrication and increased productivity
- EASY ADJUST TENSIONING : For easy bar and chain maintenance
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE : Get up to 150 cuts on 4x4 lumber on a single charge and comparable to a 42CC gas chainsaw
- 40V SWEEPER : perfect for cleaning leaves and debris off hard surface areas and patios
- 150 MPH / 135 CFM ：delivers powerful performance. Concentrator nozzle makes clearing debris from tight spaces a breeze
- VARIABLE SPEED DIAL ： for maximum power, great for moving heavier objects
- COMFORT GRIP ： superior comfort and control
- LIGHTWEIGHT : for better handling and less user fatigue
- 80V STRING TRIMMER – powers through the toughest grass and weeds
- 16" CUTTING PATH - .080" dual line, bump feed head for quick and easy line advancement
- BRUSHLESS MOTOR – Provides more torque, quiet operation, and longer life
- VARIABLE SPEED TRIGGER – allows you to control cutting speed on the go, so you can easily maneuver around plants and shrubs
- LIGHTWEIGHT / EASY TO USE – lightweight design, along with superior ergonomics allow for reduced user fatigue. Included 2.0 Ah battery rapid charges in 30 minutes
Last update on 2023-10-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API