Mid-century styles have, unsurprisingly, come back into fashion with a modern twist added to the beautiful designs and color swatches. Many people are now taking designs straight from a Better Homes & Gardens magazine over fifty years ago and creating an elegant yet modern living space the whole family can enjoy. When you think about the place people gather the most what do you think of? The living room, right? So, how exactly do you pick out the perfect mid-century modern sofa to match your style and fit in with your family’s lifestyle? With all the styles available you want to make sure you get a true mid-century modern sofa that’s comfortable and stylish.
What Does a Mid Century Modern Sofa Look Like?
Mid-century sofas have a mixture of retro design and a few of today’s modern style attributes such as color, pattern, and all-around hardware. The mid-century was all about immaculate lines and geometrical shapes. None of the rounded couches or sectionals you see in stores today. Now, some of these sofas do come with an extended chaise but they remain in the sleek design of the original couch. These couches come with high backs and typically loads of fluffy pillows so they’re extremely comfortable.
What Are They Made Of?
Modern luxuries have afforded furniture makers different and better materials than they had to work with decades ago. But, you can still get that traditional mid-century look by purchasing a sofa that has a wooden base. Darker woods were popular in the mid-century so most furniture you’ll see based in the mid-century will be framed by dark wood (check this wooden 23 drawer cabinet as an example). However, given that modern twists are not placed upon these traditional designs you can find all types of colored wood as bases for your sofa. The hue of the cushions will compliment whatever wood is beneath so keep that in mind when you’re looking for the right sofa.
These sofas are not limited to wood bases. They are now made of metal, glass, and vinyl too. Depending on the look you’re going for your sofa may have a mixture of all three materials mentioned above. Many mid-century modern sofas have metal legs in bright gold or silver as an accent point which is extremely common in modern design.
Are They Just One Size?
Of course not! Back when they were first created there weren’t that many size options but cut to today and you have a plethora of options. There are love seats, small sectional sofas that sit about three with an extended chaise, large sofas for a family of four or more, and traditional three-person sofas as well! With a variety of sizes available you can really play with the layout in your home. If you’re looking to seat a lot of people try using the larger five-person sofa and adding two love seats on either side. Or, pick a larger sectional and add the three-person couch on the other side! The possibilities are truly endless.
Traditional mid-century design colors were limited to a few shades, mostly jewel tones, and some yellow or light pink. With mid-century modern sofas, you get an entire range of colors all over the rainbow. Using your couch as an accent piece is a great way to add a bold splash of color if the rest of your home is full of single-color furniture. Using gold or silver as an additional accent works well with these couches because many of their added decor is either gold or silver.
What’s the Price?
Pricing is usually what it comes down to for most people when they’re making a large furniture purchase. Thankfully there are many different places to get a mid-century modern sofa! Large brand stores offer a limited selection of these couches, so if you’re looking for something that stands out among the rest try furniture-based stores. Online stores now offer amazing furniture at reasonable prices. With the swell of online shopping and the popularity of mid-century modern decor online stores are able to drown out the competition by offering more styles, colors, and ranges since they do not have to limit their stock for in-store viewing. With all online shopping, though, it is important for you to read multiple reviews and look at the measurements before purchasing.
What Goes With It?
Now that you’ve got your modern sofa from the mid-century, what should go with it? Pillows and accent pillows are a great addition to any sofa especially the high-backed style of sofa you’ve just decided on. Mid-century style was all about elegance and comfort and many households and pristine sofas with matching pillows. But, in this new age of style feel free to mix and match different color pallets that compliment the styles and colors of your home.
Add another sofa! Smaller love seats are a great addition when you have company over and it’s the perfect size for kids to be comfortable while leaving the big areas for the adults. Smaller sofas were pretty common during mid-century living and love seats, while not great for the main sofa, are a wonderful way to add more seating without taking up a ton of room if you’re limited on space. You can always get a matching sofa and love seat usually for a lower price when you buy them together.
While some styles of the mid-century deserve a great place in history, these century old modern sofas are a great comeback that all size families can enjoy. With such a myriad of colors and sizes its no surprise their popularity has skyrocketed in the world of interior design. These accent sofas acted as the hub for family gatherings like game nights and hanging out in front of the tv after dinner.
Take a step back in time with these immaculate sofas meant for luxury and comfort.
Mid Century Modern Sofa on Sale
- SOFA MEASUREMENTS - Product Dimensions: 33"L x 90.5"W x 32.5"H; Seat Dimensions: 24.5"L x 81"W x 19"H; Armrest Dimensions: 27"L x 4.5"W x 24.5"H; Cushion Thickness: 6"H; Weight Capacity: 1700 lbs. Backrest Dimensions- 6 L x 84 W x 17.5 H Inch . Leg Height- 6 H Inch
- FINE UPHOLSTERY - Upholstered in quality polyester fabric, Engage emboldens décor with a design worth remembering. This distinctive collection makes for a striking statement brimming with possibility.
- MODERN LOUNGE SPOT - A preferred seat for lounge spaces of all types, Engage offers a supportive place to rest while delving deep into conversation or sipping a steaming cup of tea or coffee.
- SUPERIOR CONSTRUCTION - The focal point of any room, Engage is expertly crafted and sits atop splayed and tapered cherry-colored solid wood legs. Make your living or lounge room memorable with Engage.
- CONTEMPORARY STYLE - The roomy depth and iconic look of Engage showcase mid-century modern design. Boasting tailored lines and a hopeful style, this piece embodies retro intrigue and sophistication.
- Impress your friends with this mid-century modern style. The u-shaped, curved silhouette of this sofa, accented by hand tufting and buttons on the back pillow, will look smart in your living room.
- 79.9”W x 35.8"D x 33.1'H; seat depth 22.8", seat height 18.1"
- Hardwood frame, beech wood legs, fabric upholstery.
- An attractive, practical piece to brighten up any space
- Simple assembly; just attach legs and back
- Corner-blocked, kiln-dried solid wood frame. Seat cushions are high resiliency foam with fiber and a layer of feathers in a down-proof cambric shell
- Loose, non-reversible bench-style seat cushion with removable cover. Loose back cushions are feather and fiber-filled with removable covers. Reversible back cushions
- Rubber-webbing suspension base support. Upholstered in a durable polyester fabric
- Two 100% down-filled throw pillows included. Bright Ash is a performance fabric and is stain & spill-resistant to both water and oil-based stains
- Arrives fully assembled. Includes curbside delivery
Last update on 2022-02-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API