Mid-century styles have, unsurprisingly, come back into fashion with a modern twist added to the beautiful designs and color swatches. Many people are now taking designs straight from a Better Homes & Gardens magazine over fifty years ago and creating an elegant yet modern living space the whole family can enjoy. When you think about the place people gather the most what do you think of? The living room, right? So, how exactly do you pick out the perfect mid-century modern sofa to match your style and fit in with your family’s lifestyle? With all the styles available you want to make sure you get a true mid-century modern sofa that’s comfortable and stylish.
What Does a Mid Century Modern Sofa Look Like?
Mid-century sofas have a mixture of retro design and a few of today’s modern style attributes such as color, pattern, and all-around hardware. The mid-century was all about immaculate lines and geometrical shapes. None of the rounded couches or sectionals you see in stores today. Now, some of these sofas do come with an extended chaise but they remain in the sleek design of the original couch. These couches come with high backs and typically loads of fluffy pillows so they’re extremely comfortable.
What Are They Made Of?
Modern luxuries have afforded furniture makers different and better materials than they had to work with decades ago. But, you can still get that traditional mid-century look by purchasing a sofa that has a wooden base. Darker woods were popular in the mid-century so most furniture you’ll see based in the mid-century will be framed by dark wood (check this wooden 23 drawer cabinet as an example). However, given that modern twists are not placed upon these traditional designs you can find all types of colored wood as bases for your sofa. The hue of the cushions will compliment whatever wood is beneath so keep that in mind when you’re looking for the right sofa.
These sofas are not limited to wood bases. They are now made of metal, glass, and vinyl too. Depending on the look you’re going for your sofa may have a mixture of all three materials mentioned above. Many mid-century modern sofas have metal legs in bright gold or silver as an accent point which is extremely common in modern design.
Are They Just One Size?
Of course not! Back when they were first created there weren’t that many size options but cut to today and you have a plethora of options. There are love seats, small sectional sofas that sit about three with an extended chaise, large sofas for a family of four or more, and traditional three-person sofas as well! With a variety of sizes available you can really play with the layout in your home. If you’re looking to seat a lot of people try using the larger five-person sofa and adding two love seats on either side. Or, pick a larger sectional and add the three-person couch on the other side! The possibilities are truly endless.
Traditional mid-century design colors were limited to a few shades, mostly jewel tones, and some yellow or light pink. With mid-century modern sofas, you get an entire range of colors all over the rainbow. Using your couch as an accent piece is a great way to add a bold splash of color if the rest of your home is full of single-color furniture. Using gold or silver as an additional accent works well with these couches because many of their added decor is either gold or silver.
What’s the Price?
Pricing is usually what it comes down to for most people when they’re making a large furniture purchase. Thankfully there are many different places to get a mid-century modern sofa! Large brand stores offer a limited selection of these couches, so if you’re looking for something that stands out among the rest try furniture-based stores. Online stores now offer amazing furniture at reasonable prices. With the swell of online shopping and the popularity of mid-century modern decor online stores are able to drown out the competition by offering more styles, colors, and ranges since they do not have to limit their stock for in-store viewing. With all online shopping, though, it is important for you to read multiple reviews and look at the measurements before purchasing.
What Goes With It?
Now that you’ve got your modern sofa from the mid-century, what should go with it? Pillows and accent pillows are a great addition to any sofa especially the high-backed style of sofa you’ve just decided on. Mid-century style was all about elegance and comfort and many households and pristine sofas with matching pillows. But, in this new age of style feel free to mix and match different color pallets that compliment the styles and colors of your home.
Add another sofa! Smaller love seats are a great addition when you have company over and it’s the perfect size for kids to be comfortable while leaving the big areas for the adults. Smaller sofas were pretty common during mid-century living and love seats, while not great for the main sofa, are a wonderful way to add more seating without taking up a ton of room if you’re limited on space. You can always get a matching sofa and love seat usually for a lower price when you buy them together.
While some styles of the mid-century deserve a great place in history, these century old modern sofas are a great comeback that all size families can enjoy. With such a myriad of colors and sizes its no surprise their popularity has skyrocketed in the world of interior design. These accent sofas acted as the hub for family gatherings like game nights and hanging out in front of the tv after dinner.
Take a step back in time with these immaculate sofas meant for luxury and comfort.
Mid Century Modern Sofa on Sale
- SPACIOUS AND COMFORTABLE: Our l shaped couch will become your favorite relaxing spot in your home. Sectional couch is 80 inches wide, big enough for 3 or 4 people. The thick spring foam cushion and breathable fabric create a soft and supportive base and back, allowing you to rest and play all day long without discomfort.
- STURDY AND DURABLE: You don't have to worry about its stability! Our full sectionals has a sturdy wooden frame and high-quality springs that can easily support up to 660 lbs. The padded solid wood legs underfoot protect your floors from scuffs and scratches. So modern couch will last a long time in your living space.
- WIDE SCENE: Why not consider adding a stylish small sectional sofa to your bedroom, living room, apartment or loft? The recliner sofa can be placed in a cozy corner, providing the perfect solution for your small space. Whether laying back after a long day at work with a steaming cup of coffee or catching up with friends, our modern sofas are a welcome addition to your home.
- Timeless Appeal: A sleek tufted linen interior features mid-century understated design to complement your entire home with modern craftsmanship and classic aesthetics. You can also change the position of the chaise lounge according to your needs, you only need to change the positions of the latches on both sides of the double seat. This convertible sofa provides stylish and functional furniture for your apartment, adding more character to your home while decorating the room.
- EASY TO INSTALL: This couches for living room measures 80"W x 54"D x 30.7"H. 3 boxes are shipped, but due to logistics timeliness, they may not arrive at the same time. There is a detailed installation manual and a complete kit in the box, anyone can easily install it within 20 minutes. We have an excellent after-sales service team, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. We are happy to serve you.
- Enjoy lasting comfort on the Plococo Sofa Couch with its high-density foam (up to 34kg/m3) and 15.24cm thick seat cushion - perfect for a 3 seat sofa or couch.
- The stylish loveseat sofa is upholstered with waterproof, dustproof, and breathable polyester fabric that is hard to scratch, making it perfect for everyday use.
- The button-tufted back cushion of the love seat is filled with high-quality cotton, ensuring maximum softness and comfort - perfect for relaxing after a long day.
- The Plococo sofa is built with a sturdy metal frame, ensuring it is hard to be affected by dampness and never loses its shape, promising 5-8 years of use. The oak wood legs provide additional support for this 3seat couch.
- Stay connected with the USB outlet on the chair, perfect for charging low-power devices such as phones and tablets.
- 【Material】 Cover: High-quality Leathaire | Frame: Solid Wood | Thickened Springs | Solid Metal Legs | High Resilience Sponge.
- 【3-seat Couch】 Overall dimensions: 79''W x 30''D x 30''H. This comfortable sofa can easily support up to 1000 lbs for 2-3 people. The metal legs have a silver sheen that ensures high strength and durability. After polishing, its surface is even smoother. The fashionable high foot design shows the sense of space art. One sofa can meet the needs of a small family, two or three sofas can meet the needs of a multi-member family, aesthetically pleasing and stylish.
- 【Comfy Sofa】 The soft cushion (7.5 "H) is filled with high density sponge and has the property of being soft on the outside and elastic on the inside, so it will not collapse even after sitting for a long time. When you sit on this 22'' deep seat, your thighs will be perfectly supported and your back will also fit into the backrest, so it is very comfortable both sitting and lying down.
- 【Handmade Button Tufted Design】 The living room sofa has 76 handmade tufted buttons covering the back, seat cushions and 2 armrests, and each button is filled with 1.2'' fiber. This design not only makes that your clothes do not wrinkle, but also that you feel only the softness of the sofa, without excessive collapse after sitting for a long time. So you can enjoy the comfortable sofa without sacrificing its solid quality.
- 【Multifunctional Sofa】 You can place the button tufted sofa anywhere in your home, such as living room, bedroom, studio, game room, conservatory, study, studio or RV or camp. Modern sofa is the perfect place where you can relax and take a nap.
Last update on 2023-12-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API