Dangers of water damage mold
There are two things to know about water damage mold. There are mold spores in the air in every home according to studies. All that mold on a suitable surface needs to thrive at room temperature is moisture. What this means is that with water damage you can nearly always expect mold. Fortunately there is good news in most cases.
The first thing to consider is that in many cases insurance may cover mold treatment and removal when it is related to water damage. This can make adequate action much more accessible to a large number of people. Specific insurance should as flood insurance may also provide for such treatment of water damage mold.
You may want to verify with your insurer whether you qualify for coverage to treat water damage mold before you need it. Being prepared beforehand is important. Stopping mold quickly is an important part of limiting the damage.
The other good news is that there are things you can do to limit the growth and spread of mold following water damage.
Get rid of water damage mold
The most immediate thing is to stop the introduction of new moisture. If the source is a leaking pipe then either stop the leak or turn off the water. This is a huge step toward limiting further mold growth.
The next step is to dry the area as quickly as possible. This can be done in a number of ways. You will likely want to begin by simply wiping up excess moisture. Beyond this heaters, ventilation and other techniques may provide benefit. Different techniques may have different effects on the surface though, so consider this when choosing your mode of action.
Once the area is dry you will need to begin cleaning. The first step is to moisten all the mold and remove the excess. The moisture limits the amount of spores that float away. After the excess is removed you should use a mold cleaner to scrub the entire area. In cases of porous materials you may not be able to scrub all the mold away.
These materials may need to be disposed of and replaced. In some cases wood may need to sanded and/or replaced. Once you have cleaned the area you will then need to begin a disinfecting stage. Many people use bleach or vinegar based solutions for this. Be certain not to mix chemicals that react to each other in bad ways. After the disinfection it is recommended that you either rinse the area with water and dry it thoroughly or apply a borate-based detergent solution and leave it there.
The details of each step can be found online. Depending on the details of your situation the process may need to be adapted. In the case of water damage mold you may want to complete this or a similar process even if mold is not visible. It will help in preventing the development of mold as well as remove any mold that may be present. If the mold is in the lower part of the home, waterproofing basement floors and walls might also be necessary.
Be certain to use caution and adequate protective equipment when you start your water damage restoration. Mold spores in the air are responsible for numerous illnesses and symptoms that could even lead to death. Water damage mold is extremely dangerous.